Friday, June 11, 2010

Silver Bullets and Snake Oil

After doing test automation for most of my professional life, I'm really tired of vendors claiming that automation is a silver bullet. I'm also tired of test managers claiming that automation is snake oil. Here's the thing. The silver bullet pitch ("Automate all tests with the click of a button; no coding knowledge or original thought needed") is snake oil. I've said before on this blog that if you want to automate, you need to learn how to write script. I still hold by that. So it's the vendors' claims that are the problem, not automation itself.

Let's look at this using a different example - the microwave oven. The little cookbook that came with my microwave claims the microwave can cook any food just as good as the traditional methods. But that's really not true. While the microwave can cook just about everything, the food comes out different. Chicken comes out rubbery, for example. The button marked Popcorn cooks popcorn for too long, and often burns it. There's a recipe for cooking a small turkey, but I'm not courageous enough to try that.

Now, the cookbook is making a silver bullet pitch. "The microwave cooks everything just as good as traditional means" And, based on my experience, that's not the case. However, does that mean that I should throw the microwave away, and denounce all microwave ovens as worthless? No. It means I still use the regular oven to cook chicken, and I manually key in how long to cook the popcorn. In short, I adapt the microwave to my needs and use it for what it does well. I still have a grill, a deep fryer, an oven and a stovetop. I microwave what's appropriate for me to microwave and that's it.

Same thing for automation. I would never recommend (or even try) to automate 100% of your tests. I would recommend trying to automate tasks that are difficult or impossible to perform by hand. I would recommend automating "prep" tasks, like loading a database, building strings for use in boundary testing. I would recommend using tools to automatically parse log files for errors, rather than trying to read them by hand. The application of automation is the important thing here; you need to be smart about what makes sense to automate, just like you need to be smart about what you try to cook in the microwave.

Silver bullets are for werewolves. Snake oil is for 19th century hucksters. Automation is neither. Automation is for testers and developers who want to put in some effort to speed up their existing processes. It's just a tool. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. It's Automation, Not Automagic!

    A fool with a tool is still a fool.

    And I agree with you. I've been working with automation and its tools since 1989 (DOS) and 1992 (OS/2 & Windows) and the tools sales people have been doing this. And since 1992/93 I've known that you have to do some level of programming to get your scripts to be robust and maintainable. It has to be treated as a software development project unto itself.

    Jim Hazen

    ReplyDelete
  2. In his blog Mr Alen Cooper had a nice quote from Dale Emery

    http://www.mralancooper.com/?p=148

    I can give you a silver bullet, but be aware that you might be the werewolf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @calkelpdiver - Amen! Automation has to be done with the same process and care that regular software development requires. You're writing code to test code; thus, it's a dev effort.

    @paircoaching - awesome quote!

    ReplyDelete