Thursday, April 9, 2009

Free Presentation Helper Tools

When I'm giving presentations & demos, there are a handful of tools that make things go much smoother. The best part is that all these tools are free.

ZoomIt - this is a magnification and annotation tool. I use it to zoom in on areas of interest within my application, and to draw callout arrows on various bits of the app I'm demonstrating.

Keyboard Jedi - this app displays any keyboard shortcuts you've pressed. For example, if you press Ctrl+Space in Visual Studio to open a code completion window, KeyboardJedi displayes Ctrl+Space. This keeps you from needing to repeat a bunch of keyboard commands to your audience as you're going through your presentation.

CoolTimer - This is a simple timer application. I set it up as a count down timer to show when a presentation will begin. This is nice because my audience knows exactly when things will be starting.

QRes - This is a command line application that changes your screen resolution. I have a batch file set up to change my resolution from high - 1680 x 1050 to something easier to read (1280x1024). I just run this batch file before my presentation and I don't need to worry about monkeying around with display settings.

1 comment: